Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Getting serious

With my homework load fairly light over the weekend, I finally decided on something that I've been mulling over since I got here. Since I have discovered Anki, it sort of feels like any ridiculous goal for learning vocabulary is possible, so naturally I feel inclined to test this notion and try to learn all of the JLPT1 vocabulary. The Japanese Language Proficiency Test is a standardized test for certifying a foreigner's level of linguistic competence that's given once per year, with four different levels that you can attempt. The beginner's level, 4, tests knowledge of about 100 kanji and 800 words, which is supposed to be equivalent to about 150 hours of study. Level 1 tests about 2000 kanji and 10,000 words, corresponding roughly to a Japanese high school graduate's level of literacy. Somehow this is supposed to be reachable within 900 hours of study, but I have my doubts about that figure.

Anyway, I downloaded a flash card deck for it for Anki, and just had to work out the scheduling. The most obvious goal, and the one that would do me the most good, is to get this done before the placement test at the start of the next semester. This would go a long way into putting me into harder classes where the speaking and listening requirements also increase substantially; otherwise my main improvement will only be with the written language. There are two cards per word or kanji, one for recognizing the word and one for producing it, for a total of 17474 cards. To give myself a proper amount of time to review everything, I've worked this out to 160 new cards per day.

Everybody seems to think I'm insane. I'm ok with this. Now that I've told enough people my absurd plan, and nobody thinks I can do it, I have to prove everyone wrong.

Additionally, the amount of homework from my classes, while it's still light right now, is increasing. It might soon get to a level where I have to take it pretty seriously. So, I'm finally starting to get serious about studying.

No comments: